Friday, May 1, 2009

The Day the Music Died

Today, I'm afraid to say, is the day I finally relinquished control over my radio and allowed Evan to start listening to Disney songs in the car. I don't know why I did it. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But 20 non-stop minutes of the old school Mickey Mouse Club House song (M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E...Mickey Mouse...Donald Duck...Mickey Mouse...Donald Duck) had me longing for my country music.

I realized, albeit a little too late, that the car was the last of my own domains. When the t.v. is on at home, it is Mickey or Handy Manny or Elmo. I can't remember the last time I watched a Law & Order re-run (oh--Lennie Briscoe, how I miss you!). At home Evan and I are always doing something together--playing hockey, reading books, making messes--which is exactly how it should be. But, the car was the only place where I could have a few minutes to relax, even if it was in rush hour traffic. So I wish I would have thought twice today before I carted the C.D. out to the car and put it in the player. Of course, Evan loved it and insisted I replay the K-E-Y song over and over and over and over. I find rush hour so much more bearable when George Straight is singing to me.

Now I'm asking myself 'Why? Why? Why did I invite Disney into the car???' Think twice before you make the same mistake I did.

1 comment:

A. Nonny Mouse said...

Oh, I have so been there. My kids love to listen to They Might Be Giants Here Come The 123s, Barenaked Ladies Snacktime and Imagination Movers Juice Box Heroes.

When I start to feel like one more round of ANY of those songs might result in the swift removal of fistfuls of my hair, I announce that at the end of this song/the CD/when we get to Target, etc, "It's Mommy's turn to listen to her music." And voila! Mommy gets to listen to some non-kiddie music AND the kids get a lesson in sharing.

I find it helpful to only buy CDs that you KNOW won't drive you up a wall after the third round trip through the CD, hence the BNL and TMBG that feature heavily in our playlist. I actually like and can sing along with every single one of the songs on the above albums and I find that makes all the difference in my ability to tolerate endless repetitions of their songs.