Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Never Lick a Shopping Cart

Evan has come down with his first cold and, in the process, we've all learned a valuable life lesson--never lick the shopping cart. I know Evan could have picked up the cold virus absolutely anywhere, but I'm putting my money on Saturday afternoon at the grocery store. I took Evan with me for our weekly shopping trip. As soon as I got him out of the car I realized I had forgotten my handy dandy shopping cart cover that shields Evan's delicate skin from the germs of the unwashed masses that I am certain cover the cart. Loading and unloading Evan in the car always zaps my energy, so going home to retreive the cover was out of the question. I decided we'd risk it. Evan grabbed onto the handle as soon as I put him in the cart and I made a mental note to wipe down his hands as soon as I put him back in the car. We flew through our list and all was going fine. Then we got to the produce section. I turned my back for a split second to pick out some bananas and when I looked at Evan again he had his mouth wrapped around the handle and was sucking on the shopping cart. In hindsight, I should have at least used a baby wipe to clean the cart before putting Evan in it. It was a rookie mistake. Evan woke up several times during the night and I had to clean his nose out with the bulb syringe. Needless to say, he was not happy with the entire situation. Poor little guy. I think I'm going to rank this life lesson right up there with the one Evan learned about gravity.

No comments: