Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

A while back, I had the bright idea that I would start a separate blog just for recipes. It was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time, but I soon realized I couldn't keep up. So, today I'm deleting the blog, but before I do, I decided to post a few of the recipes over here... I did all that typing and I hate to see it go to waste! Obviously I made these things prior to the sugar detox I keep trying to undertake (maybe tomorrow will be the day, considering I just polished off the last of the cookies we had in the house).

Rhubarb Pudding Cake
My mom loves rhubarb, so I made this cake for her when she visited last. We had it for dessert one night, then we ate the leftovers for breakfast for the rest of the week. I used frozen rhubarb and it worked just fine. It was really easy to make!

3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup boiling water

Place rhubarb in a greased 8-in. square baking pan. In a small bowl, mix flour, sugar, milk, butter, baking powder, salt and vanilla (the mixture resembles biscuit dough). Spread over rhubarb. In another bowl, combine the boiling water with the sugar and cornstarch. Pour into the pan. Do not stir. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes or until done.

Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
Bryan and I went through a phase where we were making these every Sunday. We've made them with the poppy seeds and without and they're good either way. Evan even likes them!

3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons butter
1 egg
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients until combined (it will resemble biscuit dough). Roll it into a ball, then flatten into an eight-inch circle. Cut into wedges (I normally make six wedges, but I think you should be able to get eight). Separate wedges and place on baking sheet. You can brush the dough with extra milk and sprinkle with sugar, if desired. (Sometimes I do this and sometimes I don't. When I have done this. I've used sugar in the raw, since it is a little prettier). Bake for 25 minutes.

No comments: