Saturday, November 15, 2008

Whew...Time to Breathe

This past week was a crazy flurry of deadlines for me. I'm not sure how I managed to have so many pieces due all on the same day, but it meant that I have been writing like crazy.

I also had quite a few sleepless nights this week as I was trying to get an interview with Rep. Oberstar from Minnesota that I wasn't sure was going to come through. I had to turn the piece in on Thursday and I didn't get the interview until late Wednesday. WHEW! Rep. Oberstar is the chairman of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure and I was doing a general profile. I am really happy with the way the story turned out and I can't wait to see it once it is all designed.

I also finished a 1,500-word piece this week on automatic transmissions in heavy-duty trucks. Have you ever written about automatic transmissions??? Let me tell you--those 1,500 words were pretty difficult, not to mention the 800 words I did in sidebars. I love stories like that because I learn a lot, but it takes more time and I always end up doing more interviews and research than was probably needed, but I like to be careful. It will run in early December.

The "fun" piece I did this week was on a new flavored-water drink called SkinnyWater. It is zero calories and has some additives that are supposed to help you lose weight. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like something I could use after all those ice cream Snickers bars I've been eating!

After I hit send on that story, I had three 1,000-word pieces I was doing for another client. I had finished all my interviews last week, but I still had to get it all written. So, the blog posting was light, but I was doing lots of other writing!

The rest of the month looks pretty quiet so far. I guess that is the nature of freelancing!

No comments: