Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls Beat Cheerios Every Time


For weeks Bryan has been begging me to make cinnamon rolls, so I finally relented this week and whipped up a batch. They are actually one of the easier things I make! So, as long as I was baking, I thought I would snap a few pictures and share the recipe.

There are three parts to the recipe...the dough itself, the ooey-gooey goodness that goes in the bottom of the pan (which you flip after baking so that goodness drips down over the rolls) and the cream cheese icing.

The Ooey-Gooey Carmel Goodness:

1 cup corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, melted

Mix syrup ingredients and spread in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.

The Dough:

1 package yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 teaspoon salt
6-7 cups flour

In a saucepan scald milk. Stir in butter and let cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, mix yeast, warm water and a pinch of sugar. Let sit for a few minutes until yeast starts to bubble. Add 1/4 cup flour to yeast mixture. Add sugar and eggs. Add cooled milk and salt. Mix in flour, a little at a time until all is incorporated. Knead for five minutes. Roll into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle--here is a picture of mine:

Now, melt some more butter--about 1/4 of a cup. In a separate bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 Tablespoon cinnamon. Spread butter on dough, then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Roll up starting with the short side.


Cut into 12 pieces, about one inch thick.

Place in the pan on top of the syrup.

Let raise until doubled or, do what I do, make them the night before and let them raise in the refrigerator overnight. Then take them out as your oven preheats. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. When they're done, turn pan upside down onto a platter. That way all that syrup drips down.

Let cool slightly and frost. Oh yeah--the frosting recipe:

8 ounces cream cheese
4 Tablespoons butter
2 cups of powdered sugar

Mix ingredients until smooth.

Ta da...the finished cinnamon roll.

These high-cal sweets are best enjoyed with an ice cold diet soda...you know...to help offset the butter in the recipe. I have eaten four this way. I'm also planning to make them again for Easter.

2 comments:

TheWallinFamily said...

Oh my gosh...those look so good. I know I won't be able to stop thinking about them until I have one! Looks like I might have to make some. Thanks for the recipe and the step by step pictures. I love that!

jfm said...

YUM!! I'm sure we are related carbs are my favorite and if they include sugar and cinnamon.....so much the better!