Friday, February 6, 2009

Candy Coal: In Case You Need a Jumpstart on Christmas 2009

It seems like there were so many Christmas projects I never got a chance to blog about what with all the Christmas projects and all. So, in case anyone wants to plan ahead, here are some little bags of candy coal I made for our family's Christmas Eve dinner this year. My friend Sandy, a master of all things stamped, made the tags and I made the bags out of muslin. My mom and I made the candy coal.

We made two batches, one cinnamon and one licorice. Here are the two pans--as you can tell one is already broken up into the chunks of coal.

We put the candy inside of cellophane bags so it didn't get the muslin bags dirty.

Here is the recipe if anyone wants to try it!
Candy Coal
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup white corn syrup
1 cup water
1 tsp. flavoring
Black food coloring (we used the Wilton food coloring for icing)
Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in small saucepan. Cook on medium high to 300 degrees F. This is called the hard crack stage. It will seem like it takes forever! Try to stir as little as possible or it will crystallize (believe me--I ruined one batch doing this).

Remove from heat and let cool to 280 degrees F. Add the flavoring and food coloring. Stir until blended. Pour into greased pan and let sit for several hours. Drop the pan on the ground to break it into chunks.

No comments: