Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ambition or Denial?

Quite some time ago Bryan and his mom signed up to run the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach on Labor Day weekend. A few weeks ago, I was feeling particularly athletic and decided I should sign up, too. I paid my entry fee and downloaded the free training guide. Day 1 suggested running for three minutes and walking for two and repeating that combination seven times. How hard could it be to run for three and walk for two? I didn't expect it to be a problem at all, until I finished the first three-minute run. Let me just add in here that I WAS pushing a stroller. Not only was I pushing a stroller, there was a 25-pound toddler in that stroller. And there was a hill. After my second three-minute run, I decided I better not try to get to the seven repetitions on my first training day. Did I mention the hill? Or the stroller? What about the toddler? He was IN the stroller. I think that was hang up. The race course is flat and no children are allowed, so I'm sure I will be fine. Don't you think? I haven't run for the past two weeks though. Being athletic is so much better in theory.

No comments: