Friday, September 26, 2008

Duane's Cake

My brother Duane turns 40 today. I can't believe I am old enough to have a brother turning 40, but I guess that is just one of the hard facts of life. We're going to go visit him tomorrow, which means I will be whipping up what we lovingly refer to as "Duane's Cake."

When I was little, the only time my mom would make this certain cake was on Duane's birthday. It was his favorite then and, even if it isn't now, he is nice enough to act like it is, which makes us all happy. Growing up I would wait all year to get a slice of this cake (I think one slice is all Duane would let me have and it was his cake after all).

The cake isn't as important as the icing, which is a fluffy white icing that is to die for. It is a bit time consuming because you have to scald the milk then add it to the butter mixture a tablespoon at a time so you don't melt everything. But it is worth the wait! And fattening enough that it is probably better we only have it once a year.

Here is the recipe for Duane's icing.

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 egg white, beaten
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup milk

Cook milk on medium heat until scalded. In separate bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar. Add beaten egg white a little at a time. Add milk a little at a time being careful not to melt the creamed mixture. Beat mixture well and add vanilla. Ta-da! That is it. Oh so good!

Evan helped me with the cake. Actually, he just got a tablespoon of batter in a bowl, but he made the most of it.

No comments: