Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year. New Resolutions.

I am a sucker for New Year's resolutions. I have been making them ever since I understood what the word resolution meant. Even if I might tell you I didn't make any resolutions, I lied. I can't help but to make them. Which is why I think I have a hard time keeping them--I make too many. Typical ones for me include being a better wife, mom, sister and friend. All of which is very vague. I've also jumped on the bandwagon and resolved to eat better, exercise more and floss every single night no matter how tired I am.

I specifically remember one year when my resolutions included putting on more lotion. Really? Did I need a resolution for that? Given how dry my skin is right now I apparently did, but I obviously wasn't able to stick with it.

A few years ago Bryan and I told ourselves we would call one long-distance friend a week. It seemed like an attainable goal. I mean, how hard is it to spend one hour a week reaching out to friends? Apparently harder than you'd think since we had given up on it by February. I think I'll try it again this year.

For the last few years I've told myself I would use the coming year to spend more time writing fiction and less time reading about writing fiction. I still haven't finished any spectacular stories. I'm making that resolution again this year and since the cover story on my latest issue of Writer's Digest is "Finish Your Novel in 2009," I'm obviously not alone.

Like many women across America, I also plan to get more organized this year. I have several magazines cluttering up my living room right now that promise to teach me how.

I don't know why I think making a resolution will actually make me change the way I live and think. But, I try every year. At least it makes me feel better to know that I'm not alone! So, wish me luck as I start off the year with my 57 resolutions and I'll thank you in advance for not mocking me when I fail to keep any of them going past March!

No comments: