Thursday, July 24, 2008

Guilty Pleasures

I'll admit it. I love McDonald's. I enjoy everything on the menu and have been known to hit the Golden Arches three times in one day. While I may be willing to eat anything on the menu, I don't necessarily want to start Evan on this path. A few weeks ago, I had locked myself out of the house, so Evan and I had some time to kill. I could have gone to the library, but I decided we needed a snack (more like mommy needs some caffeine and grease).

I ordered Evan apple slices and water, but treated myself to a large order of fries and a Diet Coke. Evan wasn't fooled. He had about two apple slices before he determined the fries looked appealing. I don't know when or how I became the type of mom that let's her toddler have fries, but it happened. I let him have one fry, then gave him his apple slice. From that point on, he quickly tried to give me the apples while reaching for the fries. Like any mom committed to good nutrition, I decided I needed to down the fries so Evan wouldn't be tempted. But the whole McDonald's trip made me realize I am going to have to re-think my own eating habits. When Evan was an infant, I could hit the drive through and he was none the wiser. Now he wants to share. I'm afraid I am going to have to turn into a closet fast food junkie! I have visions of sneaking out after Evan is in bed ordering my favorites. I think I'm going to need a 12-step program to get to the root of the problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mindy you make me laugh. I have been telling Jas the same stuff for months now, saying how we need to eat better, cause Hailee will want what we have. I am glad to hear someone else has all my same fears about fast food. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

This is so funny. I remember when you were pregnant at work and would say how badly you wanted fries from McDonald's. I can remember being able to tell when you had made the trip because I could smell it all the way down the hall! To this day, I can't see a McDonald's and not think of you - bet you didn't know that!