Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Time Marches On

Tomorrow will mark Evan's first full week of daycare. It has been a rough week for all of us. On Saturday, Evan came down with a cold, which I now have. For some reason Bryan is convinced that "baby" germs can't infect adults, but I can definitely prove him wrong on this one. Evan still isn't adjusting well and cries the full day. I've started leaving work by 2:30 so Evan can get home a little earlier. He is pretty exhausted when we get home and is pretty fussy.

Today I was bound and determined we were going to have some fun after I picked him up, even though I don't think either of us felt like it. I got my swimming suit on as soon as I got home and then wrestled Evan's on him through a few tears (I'm not revealing if they were his or mine). Evan has figured out how to turn on our car alarm--the red button on the FOB--and loves to push that button if he can get his hands on my keys (as soon as the horn starts beeping Evan will look at me with wide eyes and say, vrooom, vrooom). As we were leaving for the pool he made a valiant effort to get the keys. When I wouldn't let him have them, he launched into a meltdown. I was holding Evan under one arm, our towels under another, gritting my teeth and saying, "Come on, Evan. We're going to have some fun." It could be that he was tired, or maybe he just doesn't trust my intentions when I put him in the car.

As soon as we got to the pool, he loosened up and we had a great time. I took him in the baby pool and the real pool, where he learned how to jump in off the side. We did that about fifteen times before I was completely pooped. As he was sitting in the baby pool, I dangled my feet in. I happened to look down and see a patch of hair on my ankle that apparently I have missed while shaving since, oh--I don't know, junior high. How is it that I could miss the same spot THAT many times? I'm sure the mom sitting next to me saw my shameful stubble (she had a two month old and a 20 month old and looked like a million bucks), which means Evan probably won't be getting a playdate with Brendan any time soon. (Have you seen Evan's mom? She doesn't even SHAVE! Poor thing has really let herself go.) I am going to have to get into some sort of a spa routine before he hits preschool.

I'm still struggling with the daycare since Evan is having a hard time. I have talked with my boss about possibly going part time. She is out of town this week, but I hope we can come up with a plan soon. I'm considering going to Utah for a few weeks to have my mom watch Evan. My boss has agreed to let me work from there, even though I know it isn't the perfect solution for her.

I know Evan would enjoy it more, even though we'd be away from Bryan. I know I would rest easier. I think I've been up most of the nights since our "Plan B" fell through. My mom has agreed to this plan and I'm sure I can tap into Grandma Betty and Grandpa Stu. Although, Grandpa Stu had back surgery just a few short days after his stint as Evan's manny. Anyway, I am sure we'll get it all straightened out. Thank you to all of you who have sent encouraging e-mails! I've been bad at responding, but if it makes you feel any better, I'm neglecting multiple things right now (except Evan!). I'll catch up as soon as we get everything in order.

1 comment:

Maquel said...

I'm so sorry that you have to go through all of this. Daycare is so hard when our kids are so young. I hope everything will work out for you guys.