Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Just Peachy

Peach jam, peaches on the grill, peach syrup, peaches and ice cream--we're drowning in peaches at our house and trying to come up with creative ways to use them up. On Saturday, before Evan got sick, we loaded up the car and drove out to the country to go peach picking. I underestimated how many peaches we picked!

Now I know one wagon full of peaches will make 10 half-pints and 3 pints of peach jam, 4 pints of peach syrup and 8 pints of peach-blueberry jam. We still have quite a few peaches left, so today I am planning to make some peach-raspberry jam and some peach barbecue sauce. We also picked some nectarines and apples.

Evan called all the fruit balls and liked moving them from one bag to another. No wonder the peaches were a little bruised by the time we got them home. But, my mom always says the bruised peaches make the sweetest jam, so I didn't mind.

In the picture below you can see some of my wispy bangs I wrote about yesterday, but I did a pretty good job of tucking them behind my ears.

Who needs a ladder when you have dad?

Bryan humored me by (a) going peach picking and (b) posing for a photo.

We did our peach picking at Stribling Orchard in Markham, Virginia. The scenery was beautiful, and the oldest building on the property was constructed during the mid-1700s. Many of the buildings constructed during the 1800s were used as officers quarters for both the Union and Confederate troops during the Civil War (the orchard is pretty close to the Manassas Battlefield--also known as the Battle of Bull Run to the Yankees). I'm always amazed at how easily we stumble on history out here. Utah, where I grew up, is such a "new" state compared to Virginia.

We spent a few hours at the orchard, but Evan didn't really seem to enjoy it all that much. The only thing that seemed to peak his interest were the two family dogs wandering around the property. Evan seemed a little annoyed as I snapped my last picture in the orchard, below. I thought maybe all the fresh air was getting to him, but now I know he was getting sick.

I think we'll try it again next year--unless of course we still have bottles of peach jam on our shelves!

No comments: