Monday, August 4, 2008

Month 17

Dear Evan,


You are 17 months old today. Just this morning I looked at a picture of you from when you were born and I can't believe how much you've changed. Everyone told me the time would fly by, and they were right. You are learning more and more every day.

You can sign cat, dog, ball, frog, bird, horse, hot, car, cold and baby. You also say ball and hot, and you do a great job of saying mama, dad and Tag. This morning, you hugged me and let out a little, "mama." It was the most wonderful part of my day.


I'm sorry that you've had such a rough month. It hit me last night that you've spent almost every weekday of your 17th month crying. The adjustment to daycare has been really hard for you, but it hasn't broken your spirit. You are still full of that fire that is going to get you in trouble one day, and you are also still a little sweetie who loves to share everything from your milk to your toothbrush (after you've used it).

I am amazed by the sense of humor you are developing, and I'm a little worried your going to possess your dad's sarcasm. You seem to know you are being funny and your comedic timing is spot on.



Right now one of your favorite books is "It's Potty Time for Boys." I think I hear, "You stand up to go pee pee. You sit down to go poo poo," at least 10 times a day. Your dad hates reading that book, but it will all pay off when you finally use the potty and we don't have to change diapers. You love reading nursery rhymes and throw your arms in the air and yell when we sing the second verse of Row, Row, Row Your Boat (if you see a crocodile, don't forget to scream--argh!).


Even though this has been a bit of a rough month, we have managed to have fun. We have spent a lot of time at the pool, where you load up a bucket with water and then dump it out. You do the same thing in the bathtub and at the kitchen sink. We go through lots of towels wiping up the mess, but I know you do your best to keep the water inside the sink and bathtub.


You are all boy and love anything that goes "vroom." You especially love trucks and crashing them into things. You'll even put one truck in the back of another truck and push it around. You love blowing bubbles and can't get enough of the neighbors' dogs. I am afraid we've become a bit of a nuisance with Jim and Louise next door since you love seeing their dog George so much. George was on vacation for a week, and you would stand at the door and point across the street while making the sign for dog. You were so sad without George that your dad and I thought seriously about getting a dog of our own. We snapped out of it and now George is home, so we'll all be a little happier.



I'm disappointed that I didn't take more pictures this month. I normally am snapping them left and right, but I think it has been a trying month for all of us. We'll do better next month! We have a lot to look forward to. Grandma Roz and Grandma Betty (and Grandpa Stu, too) are all coming to visit. They are going to spoil you and shower you with hugs and kisses. We're going to go to Virginia Beach and play in the sand, and we'll have lots of time to play together once my work schedule changes.


I love you so much! Thanks for being the sweet little boy that you are.


Love,
Mom

2 comments:

TheWallinFamily said...

What a sweet letter to your darling boy! You are a great mommy!!! I love all of the pictures too!

Anonymous said...

You made me tear up! What an adorable little boy. :)