Monday, October 20, 2008

Moving in Slow Motion

Have you ever had one of those days where you just feel like you're moving in slow motion all day? Well, that was my day today. I don't know why, but nothing seemed to "click." It is probably because our day started off with an early-morning drop off at Union Station where we waved goodbye to Bryan. As I pulled away from the curb Evan started shouting, "Dada! Dada!" He was saying it to me like I had accidentally forgotten to let Bryan get back in the car. It was cute and a little sad all at the same time. Trying to explain to Evan that daddy is in New York and will be home in a few days is pointless, but I did it anyway--over and over and over again. Poor little guy.

After we got home, we got ready for a new playgroup we were going to try out. I punched the address in on my navigation system and drove straight to the house. All the way there I was building up how much fun Evan was going to have with the other kids. That is until NO ONE ANSWERED THE DOOR! There I was on the porch knocking and ringing the bell...but no one let us in. I'm not quite sure what happened, but I've narrowed it down to three options: a) they didn't hear the bell...or the knocking...or the two phone calls I made; b) I had the wrong house; or c) it was the right house, they heard the bell, the knocking and the ringing phone, but were getting a good laugh at not letting the new girl come in. I know it is a little paranoid, but I'm going with c.

The rest of the day seemed to be filled with little glitches, but Evan and I both survived and he only has one little bump on his head...which was followed by a long talk about why he is supposed to turn around when he tries to go down the stairs. He was on the fourth stair from the bottom when he decided to try going down frontwards. I was able to break his fall, but he still hit the wall (I think that might be when I hit the wall, too, ha ha).

The high point of my afternoon came when a telemarketer called to tell me Verizon Fios is available in my area. After I told him I wasn't interested, he just kept talking, at which point I handed Evan the phone. Evan seemed to enjoy the minute or two of conversation he got out of the man before he hung up. Normally I would feel guilty for doing such a thing, but today I actually got a little chuckle out of it.

Oh--we did attempt Toddler Craft Day today, but it was a failure. We made Magic Goo (mixing 1 cup of cornstarch with 3/4 cup of water). The Goo turned out perfectly, when you hold it tight it makes a ball, but then it oozes on your hands when you let go--sort of a mix between a liquid and a solid. But, Evan doesn't really like getting his hands dirty, so the second the Goo went to a liquid he just kept saying, "Uh-oh...uh-oh," which lasted until I got every last bit of cornstarch mix off of his hands. He ended up just playing in some water and seemed pretty satisfied!

All in all--I wouldn't say we had a bad day, it just wasn't a perfect day. We'll start fresh tomorrow!

No comments: